Most of my friends think that I am crazy. They could not believe that I would be with the man with three kids. I lost several of my friends because of that. It was well worth it.
I love them. I love all of them equally. Strange, I know but so true. I look forward when I have them all at the same time. I get tired and stressed but sad when it is time for three of them to go back to their mother's house.
It took them a while to warm up to me. I never lie to them, I always tell them the truth. I give them my opinion as straight forward as I can. At first they did not like it. They 'told on' me a lot. I had to deal with all kinds of verbiage and name calling. But again, it was very well worth it. To this day I have to experience some unpleasant situations but they do not bother me. In the end I look at those kids as my own.
'T' is still so little. She acts like a teenager but her maturity does not allow her to pass my test. 'K' and I are getting much closer. She asks me for advice or opinion and values both. 'A' has so much work to do before she is ready to face the harsh world. I am working on her sensitivity so she will be OK.
But in the mix of it all they have a biological mother. At least that is what I call her. She does not have to try to get them to love her. She does not have to do anything special for them to get them to care for her. She simply exists and they love her regardless. I always take her in consideration when it comes to major talks with the girls. I never talk to them before her. I always communicate with her about any significant events that happens over the weekend or summer. When kids come to me and express their hate towards her and talk them back into loving her. I do not have to do it. I can just walk away. But as a mother I know the importance of biological mother. In the end, after all the everyday events are done and kids are in bed fast asleep, she is their mother. I will never be loved by them as they love her, they will never call me mom and one would think that it would bother me. Not at all. I want them to call me Nina. I have three kids that call me mom, it is refreshing to be called by my name by the other three. I do not expect them to love me. I expect respect - that is all.
They are my babies. All six of them.. I know it is difficult for anyone to understand why I look at them that way but it is not my problem. Most step-parents are just that step-parents. Not me... I will care and love all of them equally 4ever.
No comments:
Post a Comment